Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  

Go Back   2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums > Chapel > Prayers needed

Old 30th July 2004, 11:26 PM   #1
acrobat

feeling selfish - prayers needed

For a very long time I could only see what my unmet needs were. I was angry, bitter, hard-hearted, defeated, by turns. I used to lament to myself that my husband was throwing away all our life. Used to feel my marriage was like crossing a desert. It took the shock of discovering a few adult personal ads my husband had written online, to cause a change in me.
I began to see and hear how equally miserable he was and that I was grudging him all of the same kind of attentions I felt deprived of. I began to see his suffering and to see how, though I had tried many ways, I still hadn't learned how to honestly tell him what I felt. By the time I could express myself over any issue, I had worked up to indignation. When he told me I was attacking him or just liked to fight about everything or was too sensitive to live in this world, I would become enraged. And instead of him hearing what was bothering me, he could only see and feel attacked. He did me the favor, finally, of pointing out to me what my body language was like. I looked down at myself and I did see someone who looked as though she were going to spring at him!
Even though things are so very much better between us - because I've exercised my compassion and dropped my enmity - I feel impatient that they are not still better. And my husband has been through a grave illness with operations and he is in daily pain, 8 months later, has to force himself to eat despite nausea, and is needing to take medication for erectile dysfunction. Sometimes there are good days for him and he is able to work at a physically demanding job, but I know he has a strong fear that the doctors are wrong and this will kill him or shorten his life.
So, he has all that to struggle with and here I am crying when I read the article here on emotional starvation. We have come so far, despite all these struggles. So much of what I have prayed for has happened. He is protective towards me again. He is beginning to offer information about himself, his childhood, his plans. He spends more time with me. He is becoming a more involved father. But I am craving emotional intimacy: that he show an interest in me. I am wishing for him to want to ask me questions about what I think or feel, either about myself personally or us or even political opinions. I wish he'd think to compliment me about anything. I wish he'd reach out to be physically affectionate with me. I wish he'd enjoy me. I wish my husband would delight in me. There is a lot of care and consideration between us now but there is no joy.

And I feel selfish for wanting this at a time when he has been struggling so long with physical pains and disturbances and with fears. I need prayers and I don't even know what to pray for. (I do pray for the recovery of his health and morale)
Old 2nd August 2004, 05:21 PM   #2
Kate

Re: feeling selfish - prayers needed

Dear Acrobat,

The Lord can fulfil all your needs if you ask him to until your husband is in a fit state to ofer you more. One thing I know has helped others is to read some of the promises in scripture. Anoither helpful source of encouragement is Larry Crabb´s book Marriage Builder.

Ask the Lord each day to give you whatever you need and remember He is an amzing God.

Kate
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Claire

Also lead by example...if you treat him as you want to be treated he'll follow suit, you've already discovered that but maybe you're not following it through in all areas. Tell him you like him in that jumper, you love his eyes, give him a kiss for no reason then walk away. Take joy in him and show him how to do it
Old 4th August 2004, 03:28 PM   #4
acrobat

Thank you, Claire and Kate, for your replies. I have certainly complimented him and shown spontaneous affection. When I go to kiss him, he freezes and "allows" me to. Sometimes, since I have started kissing him goodbye, he comes over to me for a brief goodbye kiss. Today he has admitted that he "has feelings for " me. But has also said that he feels dead.

I will keep working on joy.
Old 19th October 2004, 12:28 PM   #5
dammit96

I so understand how you feel. I hope that helps, becaue it's exactly what I have done to my darling partner and he has gone. I am so glad yours is still with you - hold on tight to that, be patient as you say will and don't be hard on yourself for feeling selfish sometimes - you need to love yourself too. Give him time.

All the best
x