Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 19th July 2005, 03:32 AM   #1
droiddude

Good ways to get engaged???

I just was wondering if anyone would comment on my 2 different ways I have planned on asking my girlfriend to get married.

1. One is at the airport, she's been away for 3 weeks and I'll be waiting outside the gate waiting for her. When she comes out I'll walk up and hug her and ask her to marry me.

2. At the beach (hopefully a nice sunset) and then turn and ask her to marry me.

Any comments would be appricated
Thanks
Old 19th July 2005, 08:11 AM   #2
Dave
Administrator

Red face Re: Good ways to get engaged???

Hi there

Seems to me that you'll have to sort this out yourself as only you know your girlfriend.

Does she like big emotional shows in public, or is she a quiet romatic type??

How far will she have flown? If it was me, I'd want to get out of the airport crowds, get home, have a shower, and then I might ask "What was it you said to me at the airport??"

The key is to figure out what will make it special for HER - not what will make you feel good, or look good in front of your friends. Focus on her and her needs, and your road to married life will be off on the best possible foot.

Let us know how it goes

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 02:11 AM   #3
droiddude

Re: Good ways to get engaged???

First of all thanks for the quick reply and I agree with I should be thinking what would make it best for her. Here's a little more info on the situation.

Her flight is a 24 hour flight from singapore to toronto, Canada so she may be tired, but I do know she would like me to ask in public. That fact scares me because I'd prefer to do it privately, but the more I think about it the more I think I should ask at the airport. I guess my only really concern is that I might get a little toung tied in front of so many people. I guess maybe I'll just have to have the whole thing planned out in my head and I'll be okay.

Anyways thanks again, and I'll be sure to tell you how it goes
Old 20th July 2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Dave
Administrator

How about making a great big poster with ""Name, Will you marry me?? Love ??" and getting some of the people waiting with you to hold it so she sees it as she walks through??

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 09:00 PM   #5
engaged geezer

found great help

hey not sure if you have popped the question yet, but I had been with my girlfriend for 2years and had no idea how to ask her. I found this great site wih all these ideas and advice it really helped, check it out: http://www.perfectengagement.com/yourengagement.htm

good luck dude
Old 30th January 2007, 05:53 PM   #6
icedlavander

i like that idea, dave. go with the unusual... and if i were the girl, that would really be a great surprise and at the same time a very touching moment. hope things went well with your proposal...

~~~~
http://bridesmaidtailor.com/
Old 30th January 2007, 05:57 PM   #7
poppy

Dave - sweet response, but I kinda thought this was an advertising scam and looks as though it was.
Old 27th April 2007, 05:40 PM   #8
hawaccom

This is how I did it. I live in Hawaii, about a quater mile from the beach, so my girlfriend and I walked down to one of the hidden lagoons right before sunset. So we sat on the beach and I put my arm around her and said, "You know I have never felt so comfortable around anyone. I feel like I can tell you anything. You are more than a girlfreind to me. I love you so much and I don't love you because you are nice or beautiful, which you are. That would be a selfish love. I love you because I want to give you my life. Everything I have is yours. So I want to know if you will accept my life, the only thing I ask in return is that you would marry me.".

Last edited by hawaccom; 27th April 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 14th May 2007, 09:00 PM   #9
owrg

Hey, I saw this suggestion on TV and it has stuck with me ever since. It was done by a pilot (but I think it can be tweaked reasonably easily). The pilot had basically shown everyone on his plane a photo of his girlfriend and given them all a rose. He asked them to give her the rose once they got off the plane. She ended up being unable to hold all the roses and everyone was looking at her. She couldn't believe it. The pilot then followed the passengers at the end and finally gave her a big hug, got down on one knee and proposed, with everyone cheering.

I thought that was an awesome idea. Unfortunately my gf prefers a more intimate setting, but theres nothing stopping you from using that idea.

Good luck and God bless.

ps. Anyone got any ideas for a more intimate proposal. Obviously a nice sunset walk springs to mind. Any other ideas?
Old 30th November 2007, 09:56 PM   #10
owpdanpooler

owrg I heard about that story too! Not exactly sure where i think a friend told me. I'm also a pilot so It owuld be pretty neat to do something like that. My idea is currently set to be on TOP of the Rockefeller center in NYC. I have a forum setup with all the details and I hope to get some good ideas from it. We'll see.

Droiddude... Its been a while since you last posted in this forum so I'm curious if you ever did actually propose and how did you do it?? TELL US!
Dan
Old 13th December 2007, 08:37 PM   #11
tiff1976

here's what I did - draw from this or others and see what you feel fits best?

I travelled 6000 miles to be with my then-girlfriend, on a remote island off the eastern coast of Brazil.....where we had our first time away together before and where we both first knew we wanted to be together for the rest of our lives...
On a long, big, deserted beach, with just us 2, whilst she was resting, I wrote in the sand 'MARRY ME?' with the engagement ring inbetween the words.....I got up, got her up as well, and gestured towards the words and ring and asked her to marry me....
It was bliss and the most romantic thing I have ever done....ALOT of emotion!
tiff1976 is offline   Reply With Quote