Marriage first aid

Online support for your marriage

Free Tell A Friend from Bravenet

Home > Forums
2-in-2-1 Discussion Forums  
Old 23rd March 2015, 07:58 PM   #1
susan123

Broke boyfriend

I've been dating someone for 2 months now. He has good qualities and seems to be someone things could get serious with. Problem is that his work situation is not very good and is not financially stable. I also feel like he isn't making much of an effort to improve things. I have my own career and don't really need his money but it bothers me that he isn't being more proactive about his situation. It's not laziness or so he claims but rather with him just being content with what he has...I feel he could do a lot better. He never asks me for money or pay his bills, at least not yet. Is this a deal breaker?
susan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 08:20 PM   #2
chosen

Re: Broke boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan123 View Post
I've been dating someone for 2 months now. He has good qualities and seems to be someone things could get serious with. Problem is that his work situation is not very good and is not financially stable. I also feel like he isn't making much of an effort to improve things. I have my own career and don't really need his money but it bothers me that he isn't being more proactive about his situation. It's not laziness or so he claims but rather with him just being content with what he has...I feel he could do a lot better. He never asks me for money or pay his bills, at least not yet. Is this a deal breaker?
IT depends what you are looking for. If you want a guy who earns a lot and who is ambitious and go ahead, then he probably isnt the one for you. However there are far more important things in life than those, and he may be a content person who doesnt see the need for lots of money or things.

Last edited by chosen; 24th March 2015 at 01:13 AM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 08:53 PM   #3
susan123

I'm thinking of the long run. A situation where if things worked out and eventually we got married. What if we have children one day and I won't be able to work as much because of having to take care of children. He will have to provide for the family's expenses. How will he do that when he only just manages his own expenses right now.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:47 PM   #4
Lindentree1

You sound like you have different priorities. I would move on. Better to do it in the beginning than years later.
Lindentree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 01:12 AM   #5
chosen

Quote:
I'm thinking of the long run. A situation where if things worked out and eventually we got married. What if we have children one day and I won't be able to work as much because of having to take care of children. He will have to provide for the family's expenses. How will he do that when he only just manages his own expenses right now.
Well most women where I live return to work after maternity leave anyway, as they cant afford not to.
It depends on what standard of living you want. I know young couples who dont have a lot of money but they manage. Dont stay with a man thinking that you will change him, if you dont love him as he is then leave.
Old 26th March 2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Raymond

Not everyone has ambition to get higher up but I think he should be doing a good job at what he does. Sometimes people get motivated when things get serious. Having a wife who didn't work I always had to keep my eye in to make sure i was earning. You cannot force it though.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 07:23 AM   #7
1aokgal

Angry Re: Broke boyfriend

Hold on there! You dated him 2 months and it sounds like you are on a fast moving train. You are thinking about him already as a marriage prospect and are critical of his career choice or position in life. You didn't mention the age of the man, or why you think you have life all figured out and want to direct his. When a man doesn't earn as much, dating means making some concessions to entertain at home and keep the spending down.

My husband was not real well set at the beginning either, as a young man. I figured he liked what he chose as a career path, and would do better with more experience and time. There is no way I would direct or push him in his work or expect him to meet some unrealistic expectation that he was going to "take care for me" neither did I expect him to supply all our needs. The lean years were not easy, but I always worked. He found his career path and works very hard.

It sounds as if you are seriously shopping for husband material and after such a short time together you are critical of his job progress. Most young men don't come with all their career goals met. Most will find direction with the necessity of climbing the ladder of seniority in the chose field. If you direct energy to meet your own career goals, you will find that an interested man will want to succeed as well.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 28th March 2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 29th March 2015, 06:29 PM   #8
susan123

He used to have a very good job and earned lots. He however decided it was not what he wanted and now does something closer to what he loves. It's just that he's been at it for some years and his financial situation only seems to be getting worse or so he says.
Old 29th March 2015, 08:05 PM   #9
chosen

Quote:
He used to have a very good job and earned lots. He however decided it was not what he wanted and now does something closer to what he loves. It's just that he's been at it for some years and his financial situation only seems to be getting worse or so he says.
I would far rather my husband was happy and didnt earn much, than was unhappy and did, but then I dont seek riches and am happy with the simple things in life.
Old 30th March 2015, 03:28 PM   #10
Lindentree1

Isn't two months a bit soon to be thinking about marriage?

I would be glad he's happy in his job than to make more money and be miserable.

If more money is so important to you (because of the future and so on), perhaps you should look for someone with ambition to suit your taste.

It's only been two months. If you're not happy with this situation why not move on? The longer you stay, the harder it will be for everyone.

If you plan to stay with him you should accept his job situation and not expect him to change.
Old 1st April 2015, 01:19 AM   #11
1aokgal

I would love it if my husband would earn less, and have a job that doesn't take him away from home for months at a time. But then, we do live a comfortable life and with security, in the career path he has chosen. It is the choice he made, as he likes the work and is in high demand for his skills. I am supportive and I learned to adapt.

I'm afraid the career choice for a man, may not always be where we agree. So long as the mans' work is ethical, moral and not too dangerous, I guess our man will make his own career choice.

Two months is too soon for you to be critical of this mans' performance or life choice! Most young men have years to advance and find their stride. A woman needs to work on her own earning ability. Today we don't expect a man to be a sole provider. It takes both people to build a secure life, provide a home, and educate the children. I think this subject is viewed differently, depending on the country/culture where one lives. In the states, education and work is the norm for women until the children are born. Many women return to work when the kids older and attend school.

When we date, we look at the character and personality, and we expect a guy to have a decent work ethic to hold a job. We can supply some encouragement, but a man will choose his career path. It is true that a man works hard for his family.
The deal breaker might be that you are pretty critical. It sounds as if you want to "manage" or change this man to be more acceptable to your standards. Either your standards might be too high, or you need to watch that personality trait that wants to pick the man apart. Ease up and enjoy the friendship.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 1st April 2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 1st April 2015, 03:13 AM   #12
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1aokgal View Post
I would love it if my husband would earn less, and have a job that doesn't take him away from home for months at a time. But then, we do live a comfortable life and with security, in the career path he has chosen. It is the choice he made, as he likes the work and is in high demand for his skills. I am supportive and I learned to adapt.

I'm afraid the career choice for a man, may not always be where we agree. So long as the mans' work is ethical, moral and not too dangerous, I guess our man will make his own career choice.

Two months is too soon for you to be critical of this mans' performance or life choice! Most young men have years to advance and find their stride. A woman needs to work on her own earning ability. Today we don't expect a man to be a sole provider. It takes both people to build a secure life, provide a home, and educate the children. I think this subject is viewed differently, depending on the country/culture where one lives. In the states, education and work is the norm for women until the children are born. Many women return to work when the kids older and attend school.

When we date, we look at the character and personality, and we expect a guy to have a decent work ethic to hold a job. We can supply some encouragement, but a man will choose his career path. It is true that a man works hard for his family.
The deal breaker might be that you are pretty critical. It sounds as if you want to "manage" or change this man to be more acceptable to your standards. Either your standards might be too high, or you need to watch that personality trait that wants to pick the man apart. Ease up and enjoy the friendship.
Unfortunately most young women here have to return to work after their maternity leave, and dont have the luxury of waiting till the children are at school or older. I think its sad especially as its not cheap to get them into day nursery.
Old 2nd April 2015, 03:53 AM   #13
1aokgal

I didn't think about what my husband had, or did not have, when I met him. There were few preconceived notions about our future together, except that he was a good person and I loved him. It didn't matter how we would live or that I would follow him to live in another country. His family became my family, despite language and culture differences. I didn't see my family for some years.

There were few problems in how we lived since our sole expectation was that we would make a life together. We had faith all the problems could be overcome. That has worked for 35 years. We began with nothing and made a life of work and family. There were lots of lean years, but two working people made it easier. That formula works for most of us, doesn't it?

If you don't look at a man with that view, you might miss a wonderful life. They say behind a successful man is woman who has faith in him. It is true that married men make the best employees because they apply themselves to the task. A married man spends little time on outside socializing with friends, or going to clubs. They are on the career track to do their best for the family. So a man often changes completely for the woman he loves.

Last edited by 1aokgal; 3rd April 2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:18 PM   #14
Lindentree1

According to the latest research in the U.S., 71% of mothers with children under 18 work outside the home. I wouldn't call stay-at-home moms the norm here. Most mothers I have known go back to work after the baby is born.

I also think husbands should have friends. It's healthy. Just my two cents.

But anyway, I wonder what OP decided.

Last edited by Lindentree1; 3rd April 2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:47 PM   #15
chosen

IT would be interesting to see how may of those 71% of women didnt go back to work till their children were at school or nearer the older end of that scale than at the beginning. Here most have to go back after 9-12 months. Its mainly due to the terribly high cost of housing here.

Nothing wrong with the husband or wife having friends, but its true that a married man will be more focused on wife and children than any outside friends.

Tags
dating, money