View Single Post
Old 28th February 2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Redned

Income differenced

Hi all,

It's been about 5 years since I was last here... I did find it very beneficial then!

Firstly I'm not married - anymore.

I have been seeing a wonderful girl/woman since last October - it's lovely! Guess I should state I'm 43 and she's 41.

My question is, how to deal with a massive income difference. I hold traditional values but I'd like to think I'm a modern man. I open doors for people but do not believe in the man has to work whilst the woman does the house work. I have my own home and know how to cook and clean. I have my two daughter every other weekend.

So back to the question. I earn about 70k. I don't know what she earns, and don't need to, but it's probably about x4 what I do.

It's very early days, she is Australian and her work means that she is back and forth between Australia and the UK - currently back in Aus for 6 weeks. I'm interested on peoples views experiences if they have been in a similar situation. I have made it clear that I earn less than her. Also I have just been stung with a horrendous tax bill so money is even tighter.

I would love to be able to take care of restaurant bills etc etc most of the time, sadly, I can't (this is the old school values kicking in!)

I do feel a little embarrassed that I can't "look after" her in this way, but I'd like to think I'm not being a stubborn so and so and letting my pride get in the way...

Veiws/opinions/experiences most welcome