View Single Post
Old 1st February 2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Hilary

Re: marriage is good, how do we get the message across?

As someone who lives on the other side of the world and in a different culture I am a bit bemused. What have NGOs got to do with marriage? And why would they help?

I think it has to be more grass roots than experts. It needs to be modelled by those of us who value it. We need to show how it benefits us and not be embarrassed about things not being perfect.

We also have to wrestle the conversation of those who equate marriage with gay bashing as in "legalising gay relationships destroy families" a logic I have never been able to fathom.

We need, in my mind, to be respectful of everyone in a marriage type relationship of commitment, honour, friendship and support even if they haven't been through a marriage ceremony. The importance is the preparedness to be there for each other, to encourage each other to grow into the whole person they can be, to love, cherish and support in good times and the difficult times.

Does England have the equivalent of Oprah? These are the people we need to get to promote, I would have thought.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote