View Single Post
Old 9th January 2012, 06:21 PM   #9
1aokgal

Re: Should I say yes?

Dear freegirl...

People are always interested in others with many interests. Why? They are interesting!
I am active with an art gallery here and there are many functions where prosperous people interact. They have sons, brothers and acquaintances of your age. I love the outdoor groups and they are in most cities. In my area there is the Appalachian Trail Club here. It has mostly men from mid 20's thru 60's and some active women, who usually go as a group, to canoe, hike, etc. The club owns a cabin in the moutains a day away. There are always opportunities to go weekends to various outdoor trips or camp as group up there.

There are many such clubs. One of my young clients was on a steady man pursuit. She was extremely unhappy, unfocused on herself, and intent she had to get a man in her life. I urged her to "get a life," develop her interests and stop the pursuit and have great fun. I predicted that the right man would find her. She joined the Civil Air Patrol. This is a civilian group of volunteers who fly or serve as flight crews to patrol for the lost and they operate flight or search mercy missions. She packs boxes, goes as crew on missions, and does all kind of flights and meetings to learn skills to assist where there is a disaster. She works weekdays, but has a flexible schedule, so has done many needed missions. She signed up at the local college and took course of interest. She says her time sheet is full. She is now engaged to a man on a the flight crew and he owns his own small plane. She says most of the guys are hardy, outdoor types and many professions as medical EMT, firefighters and in med school. Professional, interesting men and a few really wealthy young guys who have flying passion. Develop an interest and you become more interesting.

The CAP have get togethers. When they do things, as pack boxes fo disaster delivery, it is a time of camaraderie. A great idea and she is a changed person.

There are many such groups. You did not say where you are located UK or Us or? I went on canoe trips, moutain climbing, backpacking and camping. There are also groups who go on horseback to midwest . Some own a horse, as my sister, and some rent mounts and it is a social club. I have a metal detector and play around with it summers. There are treasure search clubs who go to interesting sites and camp as a group. Some go to the pay mines or gold fields with these. Some beach hunt. There are Scuba clubs. I got my daughter, when she was 18, to take diving lessons. She went on several diving boat excursions where they dive off certain sites. She had a lot of fun and they were all young people involved. Her lessons were under $200 and gear is rented or you buy it. She still enjoys to go in summer. She belongs now to a 4-wheel club and bought a jeep, to go beat it up on the moutains, with her club. They are all over the US, these clubs. I have friends who are in a canoe club.

Museums have social groups, churches have single groups and social events. The world is your oyster as you are FREE! Don't be so eager to hook up but write your "bucket list" of things you want to do in your life. Then go do them.

I took a parachute jump at 55 with a girl friend, 30, with a group that meets weekends at the airport in the next city. They go on jumps, and a few own small planes and some take flying lessons there. These are interesting people! My brother took his flying lessons there. I went because I dared to do it. My husband was gone for a few months and darn if he didn't come home early just that day. He wanted me not to go. He was VERY upset with me on this one. He thought I might kill or injure myself. We had a mini-argument on this one. My friend came from out of town to go with me, so she was already here and the plan made. It was on MY bucket list to make a parachute jump from a plane! It was a tandem jump so pretty safe. (I survived.)

I think my husband gets red in the face when we talk about this one! Anyway there are many interests you might have that you meet others. Be active, and seek others to do things. I have a trained Schutzhund show dog. There is group meets every saturday to work with their dogs. They are many young military guys and outdoor men as police officers. I'd say a good place for a woman to mix and have fun. They meet first at the local coffee shop and then go out to work with the dogs.

I was 7.5 years a staff officer in the Coast Guard Auxilairy. We did SAR missions on the Chesapeake bay and I was captain of my boat w/rescue crews. It is a large group and many single and military trained or like boating. Many (like me )own boats. Most work other jobs and active only on weekends. The group in all ages. This is in the US. I have since retired but still go with a boating group in summer.

Wherever you are, there are interests for you to find others. That is a fertile place to meet someone who will see you as an active, confident person and feel you have a lot to offer.
Art groups, photography groups, spiritual interst groups, etc. You think too narrow.... when the world is open for you. Some young people join the Peace corps for 2 years, and see the world, do good things and give back with their talents. They also are paid. What a great idea!

Good luck, freegirl. Love to be who you are now and develop yourself!

Last edited by 1aokgal; 10th January 2012 at 04:36 AM.