View Single Post
Old 12th June 2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Forever

Re: would be grateful for prayer

Greetings Jan,

Years ago, my husband worked the night shift...this went on for a least a decade while our four children were young. He slept during the day, and not very long after he awoke, he had to get ready for work and was gone. He was not there to help with feeding an infant in the night, nor was he there during the day to help with any of the other things that needed tending to.

I started resenting the fact that all the daily (and nightly) responsibilities fell to me...then I prayed. The Lord showed me that I could choose to see my "cup" as half empty, OR as half "full", and that I needed to see what my husband WAS doing, rather than what he was NOT doing, so I made a list of those things.

I had no family near enough to help me...friends could not be bothered as they had their own families to tend to.

I then pictured myself as a single mother...as if I were suddenly left by my husband...by DRIVING HIM OUT OF OUR HOME BY MY COMPLAINING, or if he had died or had been in the military away on numerous missions.

What would I be doing then, in addition to all that I already had to do?

ALL the yard work.
Working full time for money to live on.
ALL the home repairs.
No one to entertain the baby/children for me while I cooked our dinner.
ALL the discipline of the children (with no one to back me up).
ALL the errands that he would run for me occassionally on his days off.

I would be ALONE.

I realized his value in our lives...and that my duties to my children would not end, whether or not I had a husband...and that the extra load of what he DOES do would be heaped more heavily upon my life in his absence.

I learned to get creative in order to steal some time for myself here and there...rather than to sit around fuming about his unavailability. I embraced my God given responsibilities and thanked Him that I did not have to go out and work full time as a single parent and do eveything else on top of it too.

I got off my pity party.

Hope that helps.

Kindest Regards

Last edited by Forever; 12th June 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote