View Single Post
Old 15th September 2003, 09:17 PM   #2
Kate

Joe

It seems to me there are two things you need to hang onto and bring into this situation.

The first concerns the heirarchy that God has for relationships in marriage. His word is quite clear - "For this reason a man (and the same applies to women) shall LEAVE his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." In marriage your first priority is to each other. As a God-fearing man your father should respect the sanctity of your marriage and allow his daughter the freedom to live her marriage vows in full.

Secondly the concept of running away from God is nonsense!! Firstly take a look at the story of Jonah - he tried and God simply turned the situation around - you can't run away from a God who is everywhere. Still in doubt?? - take a look at Psalm 139, and especially verse 7-18.

Underneath this it seems to me there is a great confusion of roles for your father-in-law - he's trying to be both a father and a pastor. I think you will build a much healthier relationship when you have a different pastor so your father-in-law is freed to be a Dad in a proper, distant, father role.

God bless

Kate
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote