PDA

View Full Version : It's 1:00 a.m. and I'm looking 4 help

Unregistered
22nd May 2002, 06:19 AM
Last July I received a phone call from a woman's husband telling me that his wife was sleeping with my husband. I frantickly packed up our 7 month daughter and dog and drove to a hotel. Feeling as if my life was over. Being a new mother I new that I had to keep my self together. I will share the short version, my husband still denies the first affair mentioned, but during this 2 week split he did in fact admit to another affair. This is after his pager went off and I had a lovely conversation with someone 10 years younger than myself and my husband.
My husband had lied to me for years about all sorts of things, but I never dreamed that he would have an affair. It was not a one night stand, but an emotional bonding affair at work for several months. I believe that it has ended, however, his deceitful ways have not and I do not know how to rebuild trust when he has not corrected his behaviour. It's as if we are in a vicous cycle of him saying that I don't want to move on, when if fact I really do. I want my life back, bu t he is not helping me.
I come from a broken home. My parents divorced when I was 14 and I do not want my precious daughter to go through what I went through and am still going through with my parents.
Our families know everything that happened, but they think that things are ok now so I feel very alone. I don't want to involve them in case we can work things out. We went to counseling for 4 months and the last session was horrifying. I felt as if the counselor had been snowed by my husband's smoothe talking so we never went back. If anyone has any suggestions I'm willing to listen

Kate
23rd May 2002, 03:00 PM
It's difficult, isn't it, when you can't talk to anyone close because you don't want to be burdened by their judgements and emotions. You could do with a real friend who will just listen and be there for you.

From what you say honesty and trus are keys in all this. You might like to look at the article on trust (http://www.2-in-2-1.co.uk/marriageclinic/infidelity/trust/) on the site, to work out what trust would look like for you.

There are other articles about infidelity (http://www.2-in-2-1.co.uk/marriageclinic/infidelity/) which might help as well. The trouble with what your husband is saying about "moving on" is that he means something different from you. Moving on for him, probably means trying to pretend it never happened, whereas for you it involves facing up to what happened and changing so it doesn't happen again. Perhaps that is something you could have a conversation about. What does moving on mean to each of you? What would help you move on and what would help him move on?

You might also talk about trust to and honesty. Most relationships thrive best on never doing anything that you would ahve to hide from your spouse.

I hope these ideas might help you to find some fresh ways to approach things and find your way forward together.

With best wishes

Kate