PDA

View Full Version : He's left and I need advice

Unregistered
3rd April 2002, 12:02 AM
My husband and I have been arguing and quite unhappy for some time. Tonight he decided to leave me and has gone. No 3rd parties involved thankfully, but we do have 3 children. Part of me is hurt and angry but a big part is also relieved. However, I'm not sure what to do now. I don't work. The house is in his name as is everything else from my car to my mobile phone. We've been married for 12 years. Are you able to tell me what my rights and entitlements are? Do I need to find a solicitor asap or can that wait? Do I need to inform someone to start claiming any sort of benefits, or should I expect my husband to still give me money. I don't want to rely on him for anything and want to be independent, but I'm not sure how. Thanks for any advice.

Kate
3rd April 2002, 11:41 AM
Since you refer to a solicitor we expect you are in the UK and you could contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. You would also be wise to speak to a solicitor and find out where you stand legally. You can find more information on the site here (http://www.2-in-2-1.co.uk/citizen/). Since so much is in your husband's name you need good advice to protect the rights which you do actually have under UK law. Your husband may treat you fairly, but there is no harm in knowing where you stand.