PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help?

RTF
30th December 2004, 02:07 PM
My wife had an affair 26 years ago and even though we are still madly in love with each other I can't forget the idea of her being with him. He took advantage of what at the time was an unstable marriage and caused us to almost divorce. I cannot make myself forgive him but the thought of her being with him has haunted me all of these years. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks.

Hope 5
3rd January 2005, 05:03 PM
You say you are "madly in love" with each other. If you are then it is important to let go of the agony of your own thoughts that haunt you. It has been 26 years. That is a guarter of a century! Surely some wonderful things have taken place with her during that time - instead of sitting around thinking about the cobwebs in the attic, review some of the times that you enjoyed with her and make sure there will be more of them. If you will take that negative energy and turn it into something positive then you will be able to forgive, and more importantly to forget.

Listen, life is too short. Forgiving is the greatest, freeing experience in the whole world.
You can do it. She is with you after 26 years- you love her - she loves you. Let it go and enjoy the rest of your life together.

RTF
3rd January 2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the response. I guess my love for her is so strong, it just makes me angry that someone else has been with her. I guess I need to forgive him too. Thanks again.

Hope 5
3rd January 2005, 09:07 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we could go back in time and erase all of the mistakes we made. I'm sure that she would have done that. I know what it feels like to love someone so much that it hurts. If you find that in the next few months you still can't let go of this anger, see someone for counciling. Anger can manifest until it takes over and becomes greater than the original problem. If you don't watch out it can also make you sick - health and/or mentally. You have already taken the first great step - asking for help. Good luck.