PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Husband Feels He need time away

Completely Confused and Hurting
27th July 2004, 10:52 PM
Hello. I am experiencing the most traumatic time of my life! My husband of 10years (13 being together) and two children later, has decided that he needs time to think. I just found out that for the past 2-3 years he has not been happy. Mind you--He and I had an open communication line (or so I thought). I swear, he never led me to believe something was wrong. The issue arose after wondering why he was so snippy at me when he came home from work. I went ahead to tell him that this was not like him and obviously something was wrong. He then said, in not too many words, that he was not "in love" with me and that he wasn't happy.

The kicker is that we never really had huge fights--slight disagreements--yes, but no huge drama! Our children of 8 (girl) and 6(boy) have been devestated, as well as his family and mine.

I've agreed to let him have his space. He left last night (much to my heartache and devestation from the children). Can't say it was easy for him to leave. He feels trapped between a rock and a hard place due to our children.

I've basically let him go for now and explained that I don't hate him. I love him too much. I am even willing to make it work, in the event he returns. I don't want him to think I will be different with him if he does come back.

Bottom line, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to have him back--have my family back. I feel 10 years is a huge investment--especially with children. It is difficult to have my kids always asking "when is Daddy coming back?". You see, we, both, have been extremely close to our kids. So it makes it all the more difficult. The couple of people who know about our situation have been taken completely aback with his behavior. He assures me he isn't or has not met anyone. He simply doesn't want to be unhappy and angry at himself for not being sincere with me.

The things he said that have stuck in my heart and mind is: 1. I love you; but I'm not in love with you. 2. I don't feel physically attracted to you. (Now let me say that I look the same in weight and body as the day he married me except for maybe 5 extra pounds!)

My only thought about what he's going through is that maybe he married me too young (age 23). Maybe he didn't get to venture out before falling into a commitment of marriage and family...and now he feels cheated out (hence the unhappiness). The love-making and attentiveness has always been there from my part. I just don't know what else to make of this.

He's left to stay at a relative's house to think. How do I handle this? My kids want to constantly call him (which is OK with him); but I feel I shouldn't make it this easy for him either! I feel that "if he has asked for time alone, he should take the time alone and use it wisely. I don't think he should speak to his kids everyday. Even if it means they hurt more.

I believe in "If you love something let it go; and if it's meant for you it will come back"; but when children are involved, I believe a couple should work had at staying together for the sake of kids and marriage. I say this b/c our home/family life has never, never been violent, aggressive or negative. I guess this is why everyone (except him) is in a state of disbelieve. I miss him so much!!!My kids and I want him back. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? I really don't know what I'm even asking for on this forum...I just need to talk to vent...(since no one of my friends know what I'm going through)...

hill70
28th July 2004, 04:06 PM
Hi

Its early days yet, I think the main thing is no matter what STAY POSITVE. I know you will be hurting like hell and missing him like mad. The thing to do now is find time for the things that you want to do and keep occupied. ive him his time to think and let him talk in his own time. He will need ti sort things out as to why he is so unhappy and focing the issue will only make things worse.

Go and do things that make you happy because if he sees you getting on and being happy he will be happy the last thing he probably wanted was to inflict unhappiness on to you.

The priorities are your children and if they have a happy Mum then they will be happy.

Give it time and stay strong

Noddy
29th July 2004, 10:02 AM
Hi..I'm not suggesting your husband is having an affair, but is this something you have asked him?

When a man says I love but not 'in love with you' anymore and the 'attraction' has gone, it can suggest several things:-

1: Either he's romantically involved with someone else at some level
2: Or that he feels the 'magic' has gone in your relationship i.e. disallusionment
3: Your Husband is in some kind of midlife crisis, evaluating his life right now.

May I suggest you get a book called Divorce Remedy, my Michele Weiner Davis, it's very insightful and gives good coping strategies through these difficult times.

Take care

Claire
30th July 2004, 11:45 PM
Also join me and Bridie and Jacks in the Marriage Guidance section of this site as we are all going through exactly the same thing. It's good to have the support of people who really understand, believe me, I've been coming to this site for almost 4 months and at times it has been a lifeline for me.

Confused Hurt and Alone
31st July 2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks for your words of comfort.

Yes, Noddy--I did ask if there was anyone else in his life whether it was a female friend or lover. His answer was "no". I'm inclined to believe him because he was always at home with kids and me while not working. And even when he was working, I could reach him and feel comfortable he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. I agree with your 2nd point in that I believe a person could fall out of love in a relationship out of disillusionment. Maybe that is the case with him. If so, then I truly believe we could work it out together; and maybe I could re-capture his love for me once things progressively go well.

I'm trying to be strong for my kids. He called today to ask to see the kids tomorrow. I said yes. In the same conversation we spoke and he told me he is talking to professionals/counselors. He also said he was starting to piece things together in his mind and once he does that he could then sit with me and share those thoughts and feelings. I guess it's a good start....

I re-assured him that there isn't any hatred/anger on my part. And that in the event he decides to r eturn to us, I would be willing to "shelve" this issue and pick up the pieces with him and work on our relationship. I would actually accept him back knowing he isn't in love with me....Kids say the most amazing things...My daughter actually said to me "Mommy--3 is such an odd number. I don't like it. I want an even number 4."...
I've reserach some books on this situation such as: The Surrendered Wife : A Practical Guide to Finding Intimacy, Passion, and Peace with Your Man;
Imperfect Harmony: How to Stay Married for the Sake of Your Children and Still Be Happy; How to Be the Almost Perfect Wife: By Husbands Who Know; Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love, New and Revised

I'm hoping these help me to figure out what is going on in his mind and heart and maybe they can also enlighten me to see some things I may not have seen from my part. I truly believe a marriage is created by 2 people; and those same 2 are equally accountable in a bond of marriage....

Am I being an idiot? Or am headed in the right direction?

Kate
10th August 2004, 12:50 PM
Hi there

I just wondered how things were going for you?

Kate
:)

Comletely Confused
14th August 2004, 10:01 PM
Hi Kate:

I've posted an update on the Marriage Help section of this forum. I'm sorry to be so spastic. I started in this forum, then realized there was one specifically for marriage issues. Please see my post (http://www.2-in-2-1.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1667) dated yesterday (?)

Any advice you can give me is sincerely appreciated. I still don't know what is going through his mind most of the time...